Keeping the Books Straight for Truckers
- How do I know whether my trucking business is turning a profit?
- How do I setup an accounting system for my trucking business?
- Is there a one-size-fits-all book-keeping system for trucking businesses?
- I do not want to learn how to do accounting, do I need to hire an accountant?
- Staying organized is not one of my strengths -is running a trucking business for me?
- I think my truck revenue was over $250,000 last year, but I can't tell where it went!
- How do I keep track of which shipper or broker owes me money?
- I think the economy is busting my truck business, -maybe?
- My spreadsheet is out of whack! I can't tell whether the numbers are real or not.
- Is there a way I can stick it to the man and win in my small trucking biz?
- Do you hate doing Taxes?
- Do you know how much your trucking business made last month?
- Can you provide accurate information about that load you hauled last month to Denver?
- How much am I paying my owner-operators?
- Do you have a clue who your customers are?
- Do you need help keeping your bookkeeping up-to-date?
These are critical questions to ask yourself if you're in the trucking biz, and all too often we don't have straight answers to go along. It's hard enough to juggle all the responsibilities of running your business, let alone fit and keep all the puzzles in place.
When I started trucking more than seven years ago, all I had was a dream, a poor plan and misguided advice on the whole concept of trucking being a profitable venture. Little did I know that it wasn't just about finding high-paying loads and submitting the freight-bill, there was a lot more I wasn't prepared for. Like keeping track of expenses, knowing my break-points for each load, relating variable versus fixed costs and how they impacted my business, paying owner-operators, keeping tabs on contracts, insurance, vendors, suppliers, licenses, permits and even complying with state and federal laws related to the industry. The first couple of years I was just lucky, I was able to out-earn my ignorance but that soon came to an end when I was faced with the tough questions like those above.
One thing I discovered kind of dishearteningly, is that not too many people in the trucking biz want to talk about the secrets of their successes, or show you how to turn things around. My take on it: Not too many know how to do it right, and even fewer have the right tools to do it.
When I woke up from the daze, I resolved to use my experience, information technology skills, and proven techniques learned over time to build a system that works, a framework that truck business owners can use to manage their businesses -and win.
Don't let these tough questions keep you up at night. Trip Sheet Central (TSC) can help you get back on track with your business to let you concentrate on what you do best. We will be your virtual assistant who does the back-office bookkeeping and business management that is necessary to keep your business running smoothly.
Take me up on answering these questions and see whether Trip Sheet Central is for you. I'll set you up on a demo account, spend 45 minutes to an hour (at no charge) to analyze your business situation and suggest a strategy for success.
All you need is the willingness to turn your business around, and a risk-free way to get ahead of the competition. Start making your business work for you. Take control of the numbers.